Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Scale

I honestly want to throw my scale in the ocean. It goes down four pounds, up three. I have HAD it. I know my body is changing - just not as quickly as I would like. Why, exactly, do I have a timeline? If this is truly a lifestyle change, why is there a timeline in mind? I didn't gain weight on a timeline. I just ate horribly and was inactive day in and day out. The weight followed. I am hoping the inverse is true.

I called a friend this morning to vent. She said, "Girl, you need to focus on the doing, not the results. Continue to make healthy choices and challenge your body physically and you will see results. It may not be something you see today or even next week - but you will in the long term."

It's true. I guess I have just heard so many horror stories of people doing the right things and gaining weight that I am paranoid to go one day without checking the scale. I was out of this mindset before I started Crossfit but victory on the scale brought me back under its spell.

I am not going to throw the scale out but I am going to limit myself to weighing once every couple of weeks. I know when I'm doing the right things and when I'm not. I just need to focus on the process and I need to enjoy it. Stressing out about it is raising my cortisol levels and making me feel insecure. So what if it takes me 3-4 years to take all the weight off. This isn't a diet, it's my life - and this is the way I choose to live long term. Thankfully, many of my friends live and eat the same way. Woo hoo!

So, no more hyper focus on the scale. Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment