Friday, June 4, 2010

A 90 Pound Revelation

When you gain weight, you do it gradually - one taco at a time. Sure, there were crisis moments when I gained 20 pounds quickly, but most of it was a pound here and a pound there. Before I knew it, I was 100-110 pounds overweight. The process is so incremental that you don't realize how much work your body is doing. If you work in an office, your life is so sedentary that you don't move enough to know how difficult it is.

There were only three ladies at Crossfit this morning. We had to (as a team) drag a 90 pound sled for 250 meters. It was HARD. There were so many stops and starts. It took us a long time and a lot of hard work but we got it around the parking lot. It dawned on me half-way around, "Bethany, this is what your body is working against every day. It takes three women all of their effort to move this weight across the parking lot." No wonder obesity leads to so many debilitating diseases. My organs, joints, muscles, and bones are straining every single day the same way we did around that parking lot.

Crossfit is hard. Really hard. I can't do 98% of what they do in there, but day in and day out, I drag a 90 pound weight around my life. Changing my life is worth it. Who wants to carry the Crossfit sled everywhere they go? Also, I will never look at an overweight person (including myself) working on their fitness in the same way, again. It is a helluva hard task to drag that weight into the gym and to at least try the things other people are doing. I am looking forward to the day I can drop the weight off the moment I drop the rope to that sled.

No comments:

Post a Comment