Thursday, June 17, 2010

Perspective

It is so easy to get bogged down by the superficial things in life and to lose sight of what really matters. Then, in an instant, your perspective shifts. The 'thing' that seemed so important a moment before holds no weight whatsoever. Think 9-11. Think of the day the Space Shuttle exploded. Think of the day someone near to you died suddenly. Think of the day you were diagnosed. Think of the day she/he left. Think fo the day day you met him/her. Think of the day your children/grandchildren were born.

What does this have to do with Crossfit? More than anything, I think this whole program has to be kept in perspective. Why are you doing Crossfit? What is your ultimate goal? Is it all about you or is there a bigger goal? It feels great to hit those performance metrics and to lose those inches, but is that enough?

My mind wanders a lot to our military, our law-enforcement officers, and our firemen when I Crossfit. For them, Crossfit is about getting fit but the goal is so much larger. Their strength, their stamina, and their agility are being used to protect others -- US. Whether they realize it or not, this training is ultimately for someone else. That may not be their perspective right now, but in an instant it will become clear. When they carry a person from a burning building. When they are in the line of fire and must drag a wounded brother or sister from the field. When they are apprehending a suspect. When they are part of a search and rescue team.

I do Crossfit so I can give more to others. I want to be thinner. I want to be better looking. I want to be stronger. But most of all, I want to get outside of myself. I don't want to be trapped or limited by my body. I want to live for others--to help them, and to love them. So, the days I want to quit, I remember that it isn't about me. It's about that moment when I realize I can go the extra mile for someone else because of what I do in that gym every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment